in      
Reserved Area

News Silchar Province ()

CHANGE TEXT A A A
Join 360° view forum
Join 360° view forum
 
Previous  |  Next
Printable View Print News   Mail to Friend Mail to Friend  Comment on News Mail to Dianetious Fernandez
''Sunnyside'' initiates more than 1430 novices in 58 years
By BIS
Shillong, Jun. 8. On 29 May 2014, twenty five novices, belonging to Guwahati (13) and Silchar (12), began their year of novitiate under the direction of the newly-appointed Master of Novices, Fr. Anthony Lendakadavil. With the commencement of this year's batch, more than 1430 novices have gone through the portals of this historical Salesian Novitiate of the North East since 1956.

The inaugural function of Novitate 2014-15 was presided over by the Vice-Provincial, Fr. Paul L. Olphindro, who during the Holy Eucharist, celebrated earlier, installed Fr. Lendakadavil as the new Rector and Novice Master. Fr. Lendakadavil replaces Fr. Philip Barjo, who had held that office for the past five years. Fr. Anugrah Kerketta is the new Socius.
Sunnyside Batch of 2014-15 with the Novitiate staff
View actual size
Currently this novitiate house belongs to the Province of Silchar, and is situated at the 4th Mile, Upper Shillong. It houses novices from Silchar and Guwahati provinces. Prior to the '80s the province of Kolkata too used to have their novices initiated here.

The beginnings of Sunnyside as a Novitiate are quite memorable. In September 1923, the then Provincial and Prefect Apostolic of Assam, Mgr. Louis Mathias, received from Turin the offer of novices for a novitiate in India, if he desired to open one. He jumped at the proposal and got busy about preparing for it. However, they could not get a proper property for the purpose. Hence, the novitiate was started in the clergy house, Shillong.

According to the regulations (Art. 261) and the deliberations of General Chapter XVII, each province had to have its own house of novitiate. Hence, the provincial, Fr. Anthony Alessi, decided to provide the province with a house for the purpose, a house all by itself.

With an indenture dated 6th August 1953, he bought from Mrs. E.M. Wood the holding known as Sunnyside, situated at Upper Shillong, and on the 24th of May 1954, took possession of it, blessed it and left Fr. H. Fontana in charge of the property. Thus began the existence of this historical novitiate, which in the last 58 years of its existence, (from 1956 onwards), has seen 1407 novices pass through its portals for their novitiate.
Previous  |  Next
CHANGE TEXT A A A

Comments





Post a Comment

More News in MISSIONS

Indian Catechetical Association Reflects on Education to Love
DBCIC Mawlai Exhibits Sonia Gandhi Donated Artefacts
Kolkata Salesians get 15th Santhal Priest
Five Salesian Priests Ordained in Shillong
Carols from the Hills enthralls television audience worldwide
Rate this
Current Rating
3.0
Contact via Email
 
Write Your email text message below.
Your email id:
Subject: Comments on '``Sunnyside`` initiates more than 1430 novices in 58 years' - Source: BIS South Asia
Comments:
Security Code:
Enter Security Code:  



BIS is the information service of the Salesians of Don Bosco in South Asia.
The information available on the site is posted by the online registered Salesians in the South Asia Region and are approved by their respective Province BIS Coordinators.


This site is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox and/or Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 + at a minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768


NEWS SEARCH
Search
Province
Classification


News Subscription
  
 
RSS Feeds RSS Feeds