in      
Reserved Area
BIS National Speak Up (6)

BIS Regional Speak Up

Bangalore (4 items)
Chennai (36 items)
Dimapur (1 items)
Guwahati (32 items)
Hyderabad (12 items)
Kolkata (17 items)
Mumbai (0 items)
New Delhi (27 items)
Tiruchy (8 items)
Colombo (3 items)
Konkan (2 items)
Myanmar (4 items)

BIS Archives

2018 Article
2015 Article
2014 Article
2013 Article
2012 Article
2011 Article
2010 Article
2009 Article
2008 Article
2007 Article
CHANGE TEXT A A A
Next
Printable View Print Article   Mail to Friend Mail to Friend   Comment on Article Comment on Article
Paul Vadakumpadan, Shillong says,
PARETO PRINCIPLE
forum
360° VIEW
Shillong, Apr. 27. Vilfredo Pareto was a renowned Italian economist who lived from 1848 to 1923.


Named after him is the Pareto Principle or the 80:20 Principle. Put in simple language, it means that 80% of what is done makes for 20% result while 20% of what is done makes for 80% result. This can be applied very meaningfully to the context of our life and work. Thus:

80% of our time is used for 20% of our work
20% of our time is used for 80% of the work

       80% of our work contributes only to 20% of our  
       achievement
20% of our work contributes to 80% achievement

       80% of our energy is spent on 20% of the service we  
       render
20% of energy is spent on 80% of the service we  
       render

       80% of our money is spent on 20% of our goals
20% of money is spent on 80% of our goals

80% of our buildings serve only 20% of our service
20% of our buildings serve 80% of our service

80% of our meetings do only 20% good
20% of our meetings do 80% good

80% of participants in a meeting use up only 20% of  
       the time
20% of participants use 80% of the time

80% of our fellow workers cause us 20% of our  
       headaches
20% cause   80% headaches

80% of paperwork is only 20% useful
20% of paperwork is 80% useful

80% of our documents result in 20% of enlightenment
20% of documents in 80% of enlightenment

80% of our activity results in 20% service
20% activity results in 80% service

80% of our publications offer 20% inspiration
20% of our publications offer 80% inspiration

80% of our journeys do 20% good
20% of our journeys do 80% good

The 80:20 principle does not necessarily mean that it is always so. It can be worse than that. It can also be better than that. If we could find out that productive 20%, increase it substantially and reduce the unproductive 80% we will have overcome the so-called resource crunch. In other words, not more money, but better use of money, not more time, but better use of time, not even more work but more effective work. I am wondering if the Pareto Principle also means that 80% of us are doing only 20% of the total work of our group and 20% of our men are doing the remaining 80% of the work. If so, to which group do you belong?
Next
CHANGE TEXT A A A

Comments






Post a Comment

More Speak Up in MENTAL HEALTH

PARETO PRINCIPLE
12 TIPS FOR SERENE LIVING
CELL PHONE AND CELL LIFE
WHY DO GOOD WITH MEANS NOT SO GOOD?
TILL WE MEET AGAIN AT THE NEXT FUNERAL
Rate this
Current Rating
3.0
Article written by
Paul Vadakumpadan(Shillong) vvpaulsdb@rediffmail.com
This Member's Latest Article
Nehru in Nongpoh
REMEMBERING AN EVENT
HIDDEN AGENDA OR OPEN AGENDA
THE CONFUSION CALLED CONVERSION
SIGNS AND BEARERS, NOT WORKERS AND FUNCTIONARIES
Contact via Email
 
Write Your email text message below.
Your email id:
Subject: Comments on 'PARETO PRINCIPLE' - Source: BIS South Asia
Comments:
Security Code:
Enter Security Code:  


BIS is the information service of the Salesians of Don Bosco in South Asia.
The information available on the site is posted by the online registered Salesians in the South Asia Region and are approved by their respective Province BIS Coordinators.


This site is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox and/or Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 + at a minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768


SPEAK UP SEARCH
Search
Province
Classification


RSS Feeds RSS Feeds